Monday, January 31, 2011

Library User of the Month - February 2011

Bonnie Dirk
Lab Assistant (retired), Division of Science

Prior to the construction of the B Building, which houses the library, one of my favorite places to enjoy a few moments of relaxation during a coffee break or lunch hour was this exact spot where the library is situated. One could choose a bench in the sun or under the shade one of the huge poplar trees. After lunch you could read a book, a newspaper or just have a snooze. So, when I heard that I was going to lose one of my favorite spots on campus, I was of course a little sad. Little did I know that, despite now being indoors, the small southwest corner of the library near the newspaper and the fiction section, would soon become my favorite place on campus with the bonus of being able to enjoy it all year round. During the freezing months of winter, one can still enjoy the light and warmth of the sun, sitting in the comfy chairs.

The library for me is pure pleasure. I have a passion for reading, cooking, gardening and learning languages and the library is an endless resource of information and learning tools. Part of that pleasure also, is chatting with any of the staff who are so willing to help in their area of expertise. As I leave my position as Lab Assistant in the Division of Science to pursue a career in retirement, I know I will be returning on a regular basis as a community member to benefit from the library atmosphere and services.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive